What is the minimum age for acceptance of infants on Cathay Dragon flights?
A healthy infant may travel on a Cathay Dragon flight after the first week of delivery, accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Is it required to reserve a seat for my infant?
Infants are not required to have their own reserved seat and may travel on the adult passenger’s lap, but must be under 24 months throughout the whole journey. The infant fare will be charged when the infant does not occupy a seat. If the infant turns two years old before the return trip, or if you prefer to reserve a seat for your baby, the child fare applies.
One adult passenger can hold on his/her lap only one infant. Each parent/guardian may travel with maximum two infants under the following conditions:
- One of the two infants must reach 6 months old and occupy an infant car safety seat. The child fare will be charged. The car safety seat, which must comply with the Cathay Dragon approved specifications, must be brought by the parent/guardian.
- The other infant must be secured onto the parent/guardian with a child restraint device. The infant fare will be charged.
Infant on Lap
A maximum of 2 infant tickets can be booked online. When the flight departs from Hong Kong, you must call the local reservation office for assistance because it is not possible to book a ticket for an infant online.
All Cathay Dragon aircraft are equipped with special baby bassinets. A request for a baby bassinet can be made when booking a Cathay Dragon flight. A bassinet measures 76.20 x 38.10 x 20.32 cm (30″ x 15″ x 8″) and can hold a baby weighing up to 12 kg. However, a baby older than 6 months may feel uncomfortable in a bassinet.
A small bag of food and nappies (for consumption on the flight), an approved car safety seat and/or an umbrella type collapsible stroller (if cabin stowage is available) may be carried on board, free of charge, when you are traveling with an infant. Please note that Cathay Dragon does not heat or chill personal food items.
On Cathay Dragon flights, passengers who are travelling with an infant are permitted one or two extra pieces of checked baggage up to 10 kg (22 lbs) in total plus a car seat and a stroller/pushchair.
Car Safety Seats
The booking must be done offline when you want to reserve a seat for an infant under 2 years old, through the local Reservations Office or or Online Services Support. When you are traveling with a child or an infant, you may carry on board, free of charge, a small bag of food and nappies (for consumption on the flight) and/or an umbrella type collapsible stroller (if cabin stowage is available). A personal infant/child car safety seat can be taken on board and used under the following conditions:
- The infant/child traveling in the car safety seat must have a separate passenger seat reserved and must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or a travel companion of at least 18 years of age, occupying an adjacent seat.
- The infant/child car safety seat must comply with Cathay Dragon’s specifications:
- Designed for carrying an infant/child at least 6 months of age, but under 3 years old.
- Forward-facing, with a well-defined shell (e.g. a plastic frame) and in operational condition (rear-facing car seats may be permitted if the use of the seat will not cause any impact on other passengers’ comfort; contact the Reservations Office to request for an assigned seat).
- The seat must meet one of the safety standards approved by Cathay Dragon (e.g., US FMVSS 213, ECE Regulation 44).
- Designed to easy and quick secure and remove the infant/child, with a single-release-type harness and straps that have a minimum width of 25 mm (1”).
Car seats may be used on the following aircraft:
- Economy Class – Airbus A320 200, Airbus A320 200 A32M, Airbus A320 200 A32P, Airbus A321 200, Airbus A330 300 A33C, Airbus A330 300 A33H, Airbus A330 300 A33.
- Business Class – Airbus A320 200 A32P.