What are my options to check in at Kenya Airways?
These are the options that Kenya Airways have to check in for its flights:
- Online Check-in.
- Check-in at the airport.
When must I check in for my Kenya Airways flight?
Kenya Airways counters close 1 hour before departure for international flights, and 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights. If you completed the check-in process online but, due to unavoidable circumstances, you were not able to print out your boarding pass or you forgot it, you must go to the check-in to pick up your boarding pass up to 60 minutes before departure for international flights, and up to 40 minutes before departure for domestic flights.
Kenya Airways offers you a very advanced online checking system. You can avoid long lines and save time at the airport if you check in online and print your boarding pass while doing it. Passengers are able to check in online from 30 hours up to 1 hour before departure.
Passengers cannot use Online Check-in and are requested to check in at the airport when:
- Passengers have a group reservation of 10 or more persons.
- The Unaccompanied Minors service is requested, or if they are traveling with an infant.
- Passengers have requested assistance and are not accompanied by a person aged 15 or older in the same booking.
- Passengers are physically challenged.
- The departure airport does not have Online Check-in facilities.
You can check in online whether you have just carry-on baggage or checked baggage. You can check in for your return flight as well if your reservation includes a return flight within 30 hours from the departure time of your first flight. To proceed to Online Check-in, you must log in on the airline’s webpage or via KQ Mobile, Kenya Airways’ Mobile app, go to the check-in tab, fill all the information required, choose your seat and proceed to print your boarding pass. If you are not able to log in to the page or fail to print your boarding pass, go directly to the airline’s ticket office at the airport for your check-in.
Once the Online Check-in process is complete, you have the following options to receive the boarding pass:
- Receive SMS.
- Receive on iPhone/iPod.
- Receive mail.
For any changes, passengers are advised to go directly to a check-in desk. Depending on your departure airport, you can print one of the following documents:
- Boarding Pass. You must bring it to the airport. Some airports do not allow this document to be printed at home. In that case, you are requested to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
- Confirmation Document. It shows a confirmation of your Online Check-in process and is offered when you are not allowed to print your boarding pass. You are requested to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
If you have checked in online, please follow these guidelines:
- If you are carrying any type of baggage with you, you will need to drop it off at one of the dedicated Online Check-in drop-off points at least 1 hour prior to your flight if it is a domestic route, and 2 hours prior to your flight if you are flying an international route.
- If you only have carry-on, you can proceed to the boarding gate at the time indicated on your boarding pass.
Check-in at the Airport
All passengers can check in at the airport, and an official identification will be required from passengers at the boarding gate and check-in desks. Different check-in times apply depending on the passenger’s destination:
- International flights. All passengers traveling on international routes are required to check in at the airport at least 2 and a half hours before the time of departure. All airline counters are closed 1 hour before the flight’s departure. This applies to all passengers, regardless of their travel class (Economy and Business – Premier World).
- Domestic flights. All passengers traveling on domestic routes are required to check in at the airport 90 minutes before the time of departure. All airline counters are closed 30 minutes before the flight’s departure. This applies to all passengers, regardless of their travel class (Economy and Business – Premier World).
Gold and Platinum members of Flying Blue Elite flying from Nairobi to any of Kenya Airways destinations are offered priority check-in and boarding. They are also offered access to the airport lounge and many more rewards.
Passengers need to be at the designated boarding gate at least:
- 45 minutes before the departure time if flying domestic routes.
- 1 hour before your departure time if you are flying an international route.
If you do not comply with this deadline, your reserved seat will no longer be guaranteed. The boarding gates close 30 minutes prior to departure. If the passenger is not present at the time the boarding gate closes, Kenya Airways reserves the right to accept passengers on the flight.