Does Virgin Australia offer services for children traveling alone?
Unaccompanied Minor Service is offered only on domestic and short-haul international flights. Children traveling alone cannot be booked on connecting flights. Children between 5 and 11 years old must meet the Unaccompanied Minor requirements if they are traveling without an adult 15 years of age or older. Children between 2 and 5 years old cannot fly as an Unaccompanied Minor.
Which age requirements must meet an Unaccompanied Minor?
Any child aged 5-11 years (inclusive) who is traveling without a parent/legal guardian must be booked as an Unaccompanied Minor or may be denied to travel. If the minor is under 12 years old and is not booked as an Unaccompanied Minor, the child must be accompanied by another person 15 years of age or older.
Any child aged 12-15 years may also travel as an Unaccompanied Minor – if requested by the parent/legal guardian.
Unaccompanied Minor Service
Virgin Australia only accepts a limited number of bookings, eight per flight, for Unaccompanied Minors on domestic and short-haul international flights. At the time of booking, you need to provide the following information:
- Booking password (required for any future changes to the flight, drop-off or pick-up details).
- Child’s name, gender and age.
- Sender’s name, relationship to child, and others contact details (Sender is the person who will check in the child).
- Receiver’s name, phone number relationship to child and address (Receiver is the person who will pick up the child).
Conditions of Carriage & Medication
- Virgin Australia carries a maximum of eight Unaccompanied Minors per flight, six in Economy Class and two in Business/Premium Economy Class..
- The cabin crew is unable to administer medication.
- Booking details can only be changed by persons who are able to quote the Reservation Number and booking password advised at the time of making the Unaccompanied Minor booking.
- You should download the Unaccompanied Minor form and present the completed form at the check-in counter.
- The person who will check in the child and the one who will collect the child must be nominated at the time of making the booking. They must be the parent or legal guardian, or someone nominated by the parent or legal guardian who is 18 years of age or older.
- Unaccompanied Minor forms must be filled out and signed when checking in and picking up the child.
- The Sender should show proof of age of the child like a birth certificate on request at check-in. Remember that boarding may be refused if this is not provided.
- ID of the parent/guardian must be presented when checking-in and picking-up the Unaccompanied Minor. The parent’s or guardian’s details on the ID must match the details in the relevant form and in the Unaccompanied Minor’s booking.
- Carry-on baggage should be of a size and weight that is manageable for your child. The limit is 7 kg per person.
- Food and drinks are available for purchase on board by the child, but can also be packed and carried on board.
Unaccompanied Minors will be seated together, in close proximity to the cabin crew work areas. Where possible, the Unaccompanied Minors will be seated next to a vacant seat. Virgin Australia offers a variety of in-flight entertainment options depending on the route flown, aircraft type and availability. The following rules apply to in-flight amenities for Unaccompanied Minors:
- In-flight entertainment can be offered to an Unaccompanied Minor.
- It is the adult responsibility to:
- Determine whether the viewing material available on the in-flight entertainment system is suitable for the Unaccompanied Minor, or not.
- Provide the Unaccompanied Minor with cash, where necessary, to hire an in-flight entertainment unit on board.
The following fees are payable upon booking, charged per sector and non refundable:
|Flight||Fee per Child|
|Domestic Flight||Australia||AUD 55|
|International Short-Haul Flight||Australia||AUD 95|
|New Zealand, Cook Islands||NZD 95|
|Papua New Guinea||AUD 95|
|Western Samoa||WST 180|
|Solomon Islands||SBD 550|